Wednesday, November 28, 2018

The Medusa jewels I didn’t know I needed.

Medusa is a mythical figure that I haven’t typically paid much attention to…but somehow, recently, she’s worked her way into my consciousness. When I was at The Met in NYC recently, I actually found myself seeking her out: each time I spotted carved or painted snake hair, I felt like I’d spied a friend.

Not to get up on my feminist rage soapbox, but I think it’s the very nature of Medusa that is drawing me in. The idea of a mythical being whose defining characteristics are the opposite of the beauty that’s usually required for feminine power is exactly the hero that women need right now.

The magnificent Medusa pendant necklace by Sofia Zakia. Handmade in 14K yellow gold with a ruby.This new collection from Sofia Zakia is why Medusa’s been on my mind. I’ve been seeing sneak peeks of the Medusa designs on the Sofia Zakia Instagram story for a while and now that the whole collection is out, they’re even more perfect than I’d hoped.

Sofia Zakia, as you may remember, is the designer who created those creepy and glorious Halloween pieces I went crazy for last year. She’s got a gift for the delicate and figural.

The Medusa rings by Sofia Zakia. Handmade in 14k yellow gold, with or without a ruby.Isn’t she gorgeous?

And by “gorgeous” I mean bold, strong, and striking: Sofia Zakia has done a fantastic job rendering this legendary figure without making her feel excessively Disnified. (She’s a beautiful piece of jewelry but she still looks like a powerful mythical monster, not a pretty pretty princess.)

The Medusa relic necklace by Sofia Zakia. Handmade in 14k yellow gold and so stunning!!!I don’t know how Sofia Zakia got the idea for these decayed-looking, Medusa relic designs, but they really float my boat. They feel so ancient and eerie in a powerful way. These are some serious talismans.

Talk to me, friends. Is anyone else feeling the allure of Medusa recently, or is this just a weird misandrist reaction I’m having to current events? What do you think of the Sofia Zakia Medusa pieces?

Images c/o Sofia Zakia

 Medusa relic pendants by Sofia Zakia. Handmade in 14K yellow gold and so stunning!The beautiful Medusa necklace by Sofia Zakia. Handmade in 14k yellow gold, with ruby.The Medusa necklace by Sofia Zakia. Handmade in 14k yellow gold, with ruby.The Medusa ring by Sofia Zakia. Handmade in 14k yellow gold.The Medusa rings by Sofia Zakia. Handmade in 14k yellow gold, with or without a ruby.

The post The Medusa jewels I didn’t know I needed. appeared first on Diamonds in the Library.



from Diamonds in the Library https://ift.tt/2P9Hd33

No comments:

Post a Comment