Monday, May 23, 2016

Introducing Sophie Ratner jewelry.

Today I have the pleasure of introducing you to an exciting new designer and artist, the fabulous Ms. Sophie Ratner.

I discovered Sophie Ratner in what is one of my favorite ways: I opened an email from a stranger and I saw something fantastic.

Handmade mixed-metal pieces by up and coming talent, Sophie Ratner jewelry.Sophie Ratner’s jewelry is characterized by a beautifully lumpy, always elegant aesthetic that reminds me of industrial lace. The light, airy designs feel edgy rather than delicate or sweet, creating a barely-there powerhouse of a look in every piece.

A recent graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design, Sophie designs and creates every piece of the line herself in her studio. She does incredible things with texture and negative space.

Beautiful handmade mixed-metal jewelry by Sophie Ratner.Let’s hear from Sophie herself:

As a young jewelry maker, I find that my design aesthetic is constantly evolving. To a large degree, my work is based on patterns and textures inspired by the textiles and architecture I’ve encountered through my travels in India, Turkey, Egypt, and Ghana. My pieces are often inspired by ancient sources, but they are always executed with a modern sensibility. Because I am striving for a balance between delicacy and structural integrity, my jewelry often resembles lace. I am always conscious of the negative spaces within a piece and the possibilities they provide for delicate interactions with the body.”

Handmade mixed-metal rings by Sophie Ratner jewelry.I especially love Sophie Ratner’s rings, and it turns out that she does too:

My favorite pieces to make are rings, since they afford a great amount of detail in such a small area. I also love the feeling of putting on a ring, an act that imparts symbolic power and inspires real confidence.”

The Sophie Ratner Luner earrings. Handmade in 18k and 14k gold.These are the Sophie Ratner Lune earrings. They are the best, and I should know, because I’m lucky enough to own a pair.

A beautifully textured take on the classic hoop made in 18k and 14k gold, they’re my current favorite throw-them-on-and-go outfit making accessory. If you’ve see me around town in a sundress, I was probably wearing my Sophie Ratner Lune earrings too.

Two hands' worth of mixed metal stacking rings from Sophie Ratner jewelry.I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait to see what’s next from this new talent.

What do you think of these designs, dears? Are you as intrigued as I am? Which piece speaks to you the most?

A handmade mixed-metal necklace by Sophie Ratner.Please note: I received a pair of Sophie Ratner earrings as a gift. While this did delight me, it did not affect my opinion of the product. All images c/o Sophie Ratner.

The post Introducing Sophie Ratner jewelry. appeared first on Diamonds in the Library.



from Diamonds in the Library http://ift.tt/1WN7gyM

No comments:

Post a Comment